Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Filthy Cheaters

It's always amazed me how some things that happen in your past just seem to cement themselves in your mind so that you never forget them.  I've been happily married to my beautiful wife for 18 years, but there are still a few things from my dating days that I remember.  I really only dated two girls during my teenage years.  One of them is now my wife...yes, we were high school sweethearts.  However, before her there was this other girl.  Now, let me be completely honest.  I liked the girl, but I definitely would not say I loved her.  Truth is, I had no idea what love was at that time.  I can say, though, that I have always valued faithfulness and loyalty (I attribute this to reading too many Louis L'amour books, growing up...go look him up, it's good stuff).  Anyway, all of that to say that this first relationship ended because I found out the girl had spent a Saturday with another guy at a local water slide.  Now the irony of all of this is that it was my next girlfriend and future wife who let me in on this little secret!  It's all very funny to me now, but when it happened I was really upset by it all.  Not because I was in love with this girl, mind you, but because I didn't like the idea of being cheated on!  I was loyal to her and I expected the same in return!  To say I was hurt is a little bit of a stretch, but I was definitely mad.  You know how I felt because I'm sure you, yourself, have felt the sting of a relationship gone bad because of disloyalty or unfaithfulness.

Loyalty and faithfulness are some of the most important traits in healthy relationships.  In fact, when it comes to patriotism, there was a time where disloyalty was a capital offense.  Wendy and I made a commitment to one another when we first got married that we would never even consider the idea of divorce...except under one condition...that of unfaithfulness.  We trust each other implicitly...and part of the reason we can do that is because we both understand, completely, the consequences of "cheating".  Cheating destroys relationships and hurts countless innocent people surrounding the "cheaters".  All of us know of families destroyed by cheating fathers or mothers.  Some of you may even be the product of a home destroyed by unfaithfulness and, to this day, you still carry the baggage associated with the loss that "cheating" brings.  As a minister to students, I'm constantly reminded of the turmoil that is brought about in the lives of teens by broken families.

So...upshot of this whole thing so far is that cheating is not a good thing!  Sidenote time...what has to happen in order for restoration to take place when cheating happens?  A whole lot of repentance, humility and forgiveness must take place!  And, perhaps, even a good bit of counseling!  Point being, cheating is easy while faithfulness is not and restoration is nearly impossible!

Now, lets make a little spiritual application of these thought.  This guy, James, is writing this letter to the Jewish people back in the first century and he's telling them that empty faith is useless.  It does nothing to save you and definitely doesn't mark you as a true believer.  James says that what you do marks you much more than anything you could say or even believe.  So, to Jimmy, the way people who claim to be Jesus followers behave in this world is of utmost importance.  In fact, he equates a worldly way of living with unfaithfulness towards God.

It's no secret that one of the ways the Bible illustrates the relationship of believers with Christ is as a marriage.  We are the "Bride" of Christ.  Go back to the Old Testament book of Hosea and you get a beautiful picture of what God is up to, concerning His people.  The picture we get is that of humanity, selling itself into prostitution to this world and a sinful way of living and thinking.  In great love, however, God (like Hosea did for Gomer) comes to where we are practicing our unfaithfulness and buys us back from that way of living.  Hosea used money to buy back Gomer while God uses something much more valuable (in fact, priceless)...the life of His only Son.

This is where ole Jim takes up the story.  According to his way of thinking, it would be absolutely crazy for someone who had been liberated from this way of life and brought into glorious freedom and a perfect relationship with someone who truly loves them to ever want to go back to that old way of life.  However, some folks do!  It's insane, but these people "cheat" on the One who chose and loved them...the One who liberated them and gave them a proper relationship...by going back to being friends with and hanging out with their old pimp (the world).  So James calls them out on it.  Listen to what he says, "Adulteresses!  Do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God?  So whoever wants to be the world's friend becomes God's enemy.  Or do you think it's without reason the Scripture says that the Spirit He has caused to live in us yearns jealously?"  (James 4:4-5)  Did you get that?  If you're a person who claims to know Jesus...who claims to follow Him...yet is identified with the world in the way you live, act, talk, dress, etc. then James labels you as a "cheater"!  In fact, he says you're actually living as an enemy of God regardless of what your mouth may claim to be otherwise true!

Now, this ought to hit some of us right between the eyes.  And, for others of us, it should absolutely break our hearts.  The church has lost almost all of its influence here in America.  Why?  Could it be because we're "cheating" on the one who truly deserves our loyalty and love by making friends with His enemy?  I know you're thinking, "Wait a minute...I'm not the devil's friend?"  I would suggest that if you are enjoying the offerings of the devil...if you're partnering with those who do his work...if you're joining in the behavior of those who wittingly or unwittingly follow him...then you are, in fact, his friend!  I mean, you can't really claim to be the holy bride of Christ if you're covered in the filth of the world, right?  And, if you're buddying up with this world then you are "cheating" on the one who desires, more than anything, to set you free from that life!

So, if you find yourself in this situation, what is the proper response?  Well, you could do one of three things.  You could try to conceal it.  Many "christians" do, in fact, try to do this.  They live one way when they're in front of the "christian" crowd, but a totally different way in front of folks who aren't part of that crowd.  However, remember that "cheaters never win".  Eventually, the truth comes out about everyone!  Another thing you could try to do is deny it.  You could convince yourself that just because you have a few "guilty pleasures" doesn't mean you're setting yourself against God.  You could convince yourself that a word here or there doesn't really matter or that a peek here or there doesn't really matter or that an unethical action is sometimes needed to get ahead or that what you listen to, watch, etc. doesn't really define or affect you or fill in the blank.  However, remember that though you may try to live your life in the grey, with God there is only black or white!  You may deny that you are a cheater, but if you're cheating you can't really hide the fact from the One who really matters!  Finally, you could admit it...and change.  And, by the way, this is the only correct way to deal with the problem.  Check out what James says we ought to be doing when we find ourselves acting unfaithfully towards God.  "Submit to God.  But resist the Devil, and he will flee from you.  Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you.  Cleanse your hands, sinners, and purify your hearts, double-minded people!  Be miserable and mourn and weep.  Your laughter must change to mourning and your joy to sorrow.  Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will exalt you." (James 4:7-10)

Sounds like we fix our unfaithfulness to God the same way we would with anyone else.  A lot of humility, repentance and even some counseling from God's Holy Spirit.  The greatest part of it...God is faithful to forgive!

Soooo...all that to say that I really can't stand cheaters.  The worst part of the whole story is that I am one, myself!  I've cheated on the One who has been faithful to me in thick and thin...the only One who was willing to die to redeem me from my unfaithful lifestyle.  Nowadays, I'm trying to live faithfully with my God and I pray that all of the rest of you cheaters are joining me in the endeavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment