Monday, July 14, 2014

My name is Wayne...and I'm a redneck!

I've officially arrived as a full-fledged country redneck!  Seriously I have!  Why do I say this?  Well, a few months ago my family was invited to a local dirt-track to watch some racing.  We've lived near this track for years...and have even said we'd like to check it out sometime...but had never visited it.  For one, there's a lot of crazy Mississippi rednecks there and, two, they're doing crazy Mississippi redneck stuff!  So...even though we thought we'd enjoy the racing, we stayed away due to the crazies...until a few months ago, that is.

It being free admission night, we felt like we had nothing to lose so we loaded up the truck and headed to the races.  Some friends pulled a few strings and got us a spot that we could back into and tailgate right next to the track enclosure.  When those cars came out of that first turn and hit the gas, I was met with a pure, no holds barred, adrenaline rush that didn't end until the last car left the track!  The power, the sounds, the speed, the mud thrown through the fence and into the back of my truck...it all added up to pure redneck fun.  I remember looking over at my daughter, her mouth dropped wide open, as she screamed, "Dad, this is awesome!"  Yes, we had a blast!!

I found myself out at the raceway a few weeks later...this time with a friend from Canada.  He wanted to experience redneck culture in all its wonder so I decided to take him to my new found wonderland.  And, guess what...he loved it too!  All of this to say that I have finally decided that it's not good to fight your true identity.  My name is Wayne...and I am a redneck!

Now, I'm sure that this revelation doesn't surprise many of you...especially if you know my family; therefore, you may be asking, "What's the point?"  Well, the point is this...for years I avoided something, which I was pretty sure I'd like, only because I was concerned about a few unknowns.  You see, I had it in my mind that things were one way until I experienced reality.  My experience proved that my perceptions weren't all correct.  And, truth be told, we're all guilty of allowing our fear of the unknown to keep us from something new at times.

This truth has huge implications for us in the area of our faith.   I can admit that, right now, I'm wrestling with something that I feel God may be leading me to do, but that I know will be a huge undertaking for which I feel inadequate.  What I've learned from my dirt track education is, however, that to avoid such a thing simply because I don't have all the answers could, actually, lead to me missing out on some pretty big blessings.  Not acting on the things God leads you to because of fear is silly on the one hand (we're working for God, here, so why should we worry, right?) and downright disobedient on the other.

It's been often said that God equips those He calls and that He's not interested in our ability as much as our availability.  So, as you sit here today, what is it that God is calling you to do?  What fears are holding you back?  What could you potentially be missing out on because of your hesitation?  Who else is missing out because of your indecision?  Why not let today be the day you jump headlong into God's dream for your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment